Friday, May 8, 2009

Made it

Approximately 18,000 miles, 25 states, and 3 countries later, we've made it to Pennsylvania. We're currently settled in at our campground in Elysburg. We made it here a week ago and finally settled in, except the laundry still isn't done due to the fact that it has RAINED almost every day since we got here. Yesterday was a nice day, and this morning is looking good.

I've started my job search, and it is a wide search, reaching from Sunbury to East Stroudsburg to Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton. Somewhere out there is a job for me. I hate looking for a job.

I'll have to take some pictures of the area when the sun finally comes out. And hit some of the local spots to show you all what's here in the middle of nowhere.

On the birding front, the birds are migrating through in large numbers now. Since we hit Pennsylvania, I've got 30+ birds and actually added a new one to my life list, a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak!! There are a lot of Robins here and plenty of Baltimore Orioles. Yesterday an Osprey flew over looking for lunch in the pond, a pair of Common Mergansers went floating down the creek (or "crick" as the locals pronounce it. Did I actually say that when I was here? UGH!), and a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird stopped by my new hummingbird feeder yesterday! The swallows are starting to show up too. Hopefully when the rain stops and the weather clears up, there will be more. The big difference between birding in Pennsylvania and birding in Alaska is the trees. It's really hard to see a teeny tiny bird in a 40 foot oak tree. Going to have to learn to bird by ear a little better.

Going now.

May your next bird be a lifer!

1 comment:

Carolyn NC said...

Glad you made it - good luck with your job hunt!