Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Oh, Canada!

What a trip! The Alaska Highway has to be the worst road in the world! Unbelievable. It took us forever to get here. We are now in Haines Junction in the Yukon Territory of Canada. Between the road construction and the frost heaves, it made the whole trip slow going. It is a very rough road. Not one I would want to drive a huge RV regularly. I have a few new dings on the jeep windshield, but other than the mud and dirt, it seems to have survived rather well.

I did some birding in Tok while we were there. Mostly at the campground, but a few other birds along the way. I of course, made a list.

Dark-eyed junco (many, many of them)
Black-capped Chickadee
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Fox sparrow
Gray Jay
Raven
American Robin
3-toed Woodpecker
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
Merlin
White-crowned sparrow
many swans along the way
a couple of different hawks that could not be positively identified
Osprey

I've noticed as I read the past couple of posts I made that my writing has taken on a very clipped manor. Too many text messages I guess. I will try to do better in the future. The problem is that my mind is working a mile a minute, but my fingers only work 3/4 mile a minute.

Oh, and I have been corrected as to the nature of the hunters on the Glenn Highway and Tok Cutoff. They are most likely hunting moose, not caribou.

And speaking of large wild animals, we saw a cow moose and her twins. And then we saw a family of lynx. An adult and her kittens? Kits? Babies. You get the idea. I think there were 4 of them. They were cute.

Meika has now discovered squirrels. And, in true form to her nature, she's determined to find every one of them. She can be so stubborn. Then she started stalking birds. And since we are in the mist of fall migration, she's becoming annoying. One of these days she's going to get her squirrel and then she won't have anything to do on this trip.

The plan for tomorrow is to head back into the US and Alaska. We are going to head to Haines for the night. Apparently they have a brewing company. Lord help us we should miss one. Then we are planning to come back to Canada and head for Skagway. This, of course, depends on what kind of grief we get from the US Customs and then from the Canadian Customs on the way back. We truly didn't have any problems getting through customs today. We only answered the questions they asked and didn't offer any other information. They didn't look through the RV or anything. We have heard from other people of the Customs people going through the RV on their way back from Skagway. If we have any trouble going to Haines, we won't be going to Skagway. I can't handle it.

I have pictures, but we are on a limited wifi, so when I get to one that is fast and strong, I'll put pictures on the blog. Talk to you all soon.

No comments: