Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Washington

After spending some 5 days in Montana (2 in Whitefish, 3 in Missoula), we headed toward Washington. We drove all the way through to Tacoma in one day. It was a LONG day. Spent the night in the parking lot of Camping World. Yesterday we got a satellite dish installed in the RV. Then we headed toward the Olympic Peninsula. Last night we spent the night in Hoodsport, which by the way, has a very good winery. They use grapes from Oregon and local berries. If you happen to find a Hoodsport wine, go for the raspberry. If you're not into berry wines, go for the Pinot Noir. It's a killer!!!

Back to the trip...If you're looking for pictures, neither Bill nor I have actually been taking any. We've just been driving and enjoying the warm weather. It's been in the 70s since we got to Montana and the beautiful weather is continuing while we are in Washington. It's a foggy on the water today, but it looks like the sun is trying to break through.

I really haven't been doing a lot of birding. I don't seem to have the time. It's been killing me. I did spot a Northern Flicker in the campground in Missoula. And as we were driving along the water here on the peninsula, there was a Great Blue Heron sitting on a rock. It was really neat to see one just sitting next to the road like that. There was also a cormorant in the water, but it dove before I could really get a good look. Other birds along the way: Wilson's Warbler, Black-Capped Chickadee, Bohemian Waxwing, Pine Siskin, Common Redpoll, Robin, American Crow, Magpie, Raven, Mew Gull, a flock of undetermined gulls (planning on figuring out some of them today), and a number of raptors that are hard to identify when driving by on the interstate. Oh, and Red Breasted Nuthatches. Lots of nuthatches. Beverly would be in heaven!

Today we are heading to Sequim and Port Angeles. That's as far as we are going to get on this trip before heading back to Seattle to spend time with family. Haven't seen Bill's aunt Rosemarie and Uncle Jerry in a long time. Looking forward to seeing them again. Don't know how long we are going to stay there. At least through Saturday because they have a Salmon Days Festival this weekend which is supposed to be very good. Then off for Leavenworth. I think Bill wants to get back to his German roots. I'm not a big fan of Bratwurst, hope they have something more. Beer. They have lots of beer. And speaking of beer, we're been hitting breweries all over the place. Between you and me, I'm getting tired of beer. I'm heavy enough as it is, the last thing I need is a beer gut. Oh well...

I'll try to do better with the pictures. I have to get my computer fixed and call AT&T and reem them out. I HATE AT&T. We have to get rid of them as soon as we decide where we're going to live for a while. (And so far Montana is in the top running.) Talk to you all as soon as I can!

1 comment:

Agatha said...

I can't wait. I'm glad you two are enjoying the trip and letting us in. I will keep track.