Monday, October 13, 2008

Wine Country

Oregon wine country, that is.

We left Leavenworth and headed south. The first night we spent in the parking lot of WalMart in Chehalis, Washington. Yay Walmart. At least they're good for something. We spent the next 2 nights in Cascade Locks, Oregon. We went to 3 brewpubs and 3 wineries. Lots of wine. Love wine. Anyway...Hood River, Oregon is a really cool place. Outdoorsy. It's in the Columbia River Gorge and you can see clearly across the river and you can see all that goes on on the river. There were people out there kite boarding and sail boarding. The river is so wide, it looked like they were in the ocean. We also saw a sternwheeler going down the river. And a lot of people fishing. And trains. Oh the trains. Let me tell you about the trains...

The trains went by the campground every 20 minutes or so. Freight trains. They were so close to the campground that the motorhome would rumble. Long, long trains too. Actually, it was the whistle that was loud, not the train itself so much. At least at night they only went by about every 2 to 3 hours. But during the day they were waiting for tracks to clear. What was really neat was you could see the tracks across the river. So you could sit on one side of the river and watch the trains on the other. Enough about trains.

Now we're in Oregon Wine Country. We're in McMinnville. And we're right next door to the Evergreen Aviation Museum, the one with the Spruce Goose in it. We're going to there tomorrow. Today, we spent the day driving from winery to winery. We went to 7 wineries today and I have 4 more I want to check out. Bill even found a brewpub in McMinnville. We're going to spend 1 more night here, and then head for the coast on Wednesday. I have grape pictures. I'll post them as soon as I get done with the laundry.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wineries... I love wineries. I love wine tasting. I love wine. I'm so jealous.

When are y'all gonna be in California? Any clue yet?