Sunday, December 21, 2008

Nasty East Coast Weather

This week we are in New Jersey. And the weather sucks. It snowed on Friday, then it turned to rain, then it turned to sleet. Woke up Saturday to an RV encased in ice. Fun. We're at Bill's sister's house in Glen Gardner and as of right now, we may not be able to leave until Spring. Today is Sunday. Yesterday it really didn't do anything precipitation wise, but early this morning it started the rain/sleet thing again. Bill is now on the roof trying to get the ice off. The water pump doesn't like the cold, either.

I really don't remember this kind of weather when I lived here. I guess that's because I didn't do a lot of driving then. Or something. Mostly I think it's the changing weather patterns. At least in Alaska we didn't get the ice. Snow I can deal with. The real funny thing is the other day, a weather person was predicting "frigid" temperatures. In the 20s. Believe me, 20s are not "frigid." Negative 20s are frigid. Oh well. I guess it's all relative. All I can say is 2 more weeks and Florida here we come!!!

On the bird front, everybody seems to be laying low these days. As we drove up the road the other day, there were a lot of Juncos along the sides. There was also a small flock of chipping sparrows next to the RV yesterday morning looking for breakfast. They didn't stick around long. And I finally saw a cardinal. A male cardinal. It's not that I've never seen one before, it's just that they are so beautiful in their bright red (oh, it was a male), especially against the fresh white snow. Very Christmasy, if you know what I mean.

So, if all goes well, we will be moving on to Pennsylvania this week. We are going to spend time with both sets of parents before leaving for Florida and points south (and warm). We may need to rethink Montana, too. It's very cold and snowy there now too. Arizona? New Mexico? Argentina? I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Agatha said...

how exciting. I hope you enjoyed your family.