Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Socorro, New Mexico and the Festival of the Cranes

Here are pictures from the Bosque Del Apache NWR where the Festival of the Cranes was held in November. Check out Bill's blog for better pictures. I'll add more when I get a chance.

Bird List: Snow Goose (duh!)
Sandhill Crane (would have been a wasted trip without seeing at least one of these),
Canada Goose
American Crow
American Widgeon
Northern Pintail
Northern Shoveler
Northern Harrier
Gamble's Quail
Chihuahuan Raven
Brewer's Blackbird
Red-Wing Blackbird
Western Grebe
Bufflehead
Bald Eagle
Mallard
House Sparrow
Killdeer
Great-Tailed Grackle
American Coot
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Great Blue Heron
Snowy Egret
Hooded Merganser
Pied-Bill Grebe
Red-Tailed Hawk
Ring-Neck Pheasant
White-Crowned Sparrow
Greater Roadrunner
American Kestrel
American Robin
Canvasback
Western Meadowlark
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
House Finch
Northern Flicker
Ross's Goose
Ladder-backed Woodpecker

Not a bad list. I'm sure there were lots more, but like I stated before, LBJs drive me nuts! I'm not as confident in my birding abilities here in the Lower 48. But I'm working on it.

It's raining today, after 3 days of very cold weather, even for an Alaskan. Cold enough to keep you indoors anyway. Mall doors. :o)

2 comments:

Agatha said...

It's good to see you are doing well. I look forward to more.

Larry said...

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. It took me quite a while to start getting better with the sparrows and I still have trouble with some of them.